[mythtv-users] Ripping a TV series DVD into episodes

jedi jedi at mishnet.org
Thu Sep 24 02:21:50 UTC 2009

On Wed, Sep 23, 2009 at 06:35:28PM -0700, mythtv at blandford.net wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I have seen many posts to the upcoming features of mythtv-0.22, jamu,
> ttvdb, etc for handling TV series with mythtv/mythvideo.
>
> What isn't clear to me is the best way to rip a TV series DVD into the
> individual files.

    TV shows are generally not organized that way. They tend to be
in separate titles and each title can be identified on disk as a
separate series of vob files. Extracting these is easy enough but you
have to watch out for no-name disks and sets that all have the same
name. My ripper accounts for this by incrementing the disk title every
time it sees a duplicate.

    Individual episodes are typically in separate titles.

    Often there is a "play all" title. It's longer so it's easy to spot.

    Some titles are repeated because there are alternate audio tracks
          in the DVD play menu.

    You can use something like the dumpstream option in mplayer and run
that on each title you want or just use dvdbackup and concatenate each
set of VOB files together. I am sure there are other options I'm missing.

    I have scripts for ripping, renaming, caption extraction, transcoding
and importing into mythvideo.

> Are people taking the time to rip each individual chapter, name them
> appropriately, verify the order of each episode matches the chapter
> order on the DVD, etc or is there some automated program that is doing
> all of this work?

    Nope. Some of us have scripts for this stuff but there isn't the DVD
equivalent of RipperX or iTunes.

    Even with something like Handbrake you will be doing a lot of typing
to deal with the track names.