[mythtv-users] ION Platform with case

Jim Stichnoth stichnot at gmail.com
Wed Sep 23 22:33:08 UTC 2009

On Wed, Sep 23, 2009 at 2:42 PM, Russ Van Winkle
<russ.vanwinkle at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Wed, Sep 23, 2009 at 2:39 PM, Brian Wood <beww at beww.org> wrote:
>> Most of you have probably seen this, but just in "case":
>>

>> http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/searchtools/item-Details.asp?EdpNo=5263750&sku=B69-1128
>
> They call this a "barebone" kit but it includes 2G RAM, DVD writer and
> 750G HD.  Pretty much everything but monitor, keyboard and mouse.  If
> I had $300 to spare I'd jump on this.

A more or less equivalent bundle from Newegg costs $270 (after a $15
rebate [ugh] on the ION), plus shipping on the case and memory.  Add a
tuner and an IR receiver/remote and you'll have a capable BE/FE
machine.

Personally, I would build a Myth system a little differently.  If you
want a BE with a noisy hard drive and power supply fan, I would get
the dual-core Atom version to give extra headroom for mysql,
commflagging, etc.  If you want just a FE, I would get the Zotac "C"
board with its silent power supply and of course drop the hard drive.
Reduce the memory to 1 GB, and either go diskless/netboot or use a 4
GB USB flash drive.  I would also drop the optical drive until Myth is
more capable of DVD playback (hopefully in 0.22).

Jim