[mythtv-users] myblaster and multiple dish STB's

Jeff junk_inbox at verizon.net
Wed Sep 23 22:01:46 UTC 2009

On Wed, Sep 23, 2009 at 3:24 PM, Evuraan <evuraan at gmail.com> wrote:

> > I use a home-made Buffered Serial IR blaster with 3 IR emitters.
> >

> Could you please detail how did you make the serial ir blaster? I am
> looking to make one myself despite having a usb-to-serial adapter
> instead of real serial ports. thanks.!

A Serial IR blaster won't work with a USB-to-serial adapter, sorry.

The reason being is that lirc is not using the serial port as a 'real'
serial port, it's manually toggling one of the status pins high/low at
40,000 times a second (or 56,000/sec in some cases) to generate the IR
carrier... Something a USB-Serial adapter can't do.

If your motherboard has a 'real' hardware serial interface, or you add a pci
serial card, you can build a serial blaster.  Check http://lirc.org  - the
"Supported Hardware" "Home Brew" "Serial Port Transmitter".

If you insist on USB, you'll have to shop around for a lirc-compatible usb
blaster.  (note: not a USB->Serial adapter, a purpose-made USB attached IR
blaster.)

J-e-f-f-A