[mythtv-users] OT: Get off my SSD?!

Dave Richardson mythtv at derdev.com
Wed Sep 23 19:04:44 UTC 2009

> I have an IONITX with a solid state disk (SSD) as a front-end.  I have
> moved /tmp and /var/log to RAM drives in tmpfs to prevent frequent write
> activity to the SSD.  I had expected very little drive activity to be
> reported (as viewed by watching the HDD LED activity light) - however,
> it's still fairly busy and seems to have a pattern of activity.
>
> I need to figure out if there are processes still writing elsewhere to the
> system on a regular basis.  I will either turn off the processes or direct
> their activity to another tmpfs so that I can prolong the life of the SSD.
>
> I've tried using "lsof" command to figure out what's active, but I really
> don't understand what I'm seeing.  Any further guidance would be
> appreciated!

So far I have validated "noatime" on the SSD mounts, already had that done.

installed "iotop" and found that journalling for ext3 appeared to be the
most frequent item of any consequence.  Looks like there might be a little
housekeeping associated with a read-only CIFS mount I maintain and some
other bits that hit /var/run and /var/lib - will think about moving those
to tmpfs (maybe)

I used the "find -mtime" to hunt down files not in /proc or /dev and found
almost nothing outside of my tmpfs

I'm lukewarm about removing the swap file at this point.

THANKS EVERYBODY who gave so much valuable feedback!