[mythtv-users] myblaster and multiple dish STB's

Jeff junk_inbox at verizon.net
Wed Sep 23 17:52:14 UTC 2009

On Tue, Sep 22, 2009 at 12:50 PM, Ajay Sharma <ajayrockrock at gmail.com>wrote:

> On Tue, Sep 22, 2009 at 8:44 AM, Jeff <junk_inbox at verizon.net> wrote:
>
>> On Tue, Sep 22, 2009 at 4:19 AM, Ajay Sharma <ajayrockrock at gmail.com>wrote:Ajay,
>>
>> I currently run 3 Dish STB's feeding Hauppauge tuners S-video and
>> composite audio.  I have each of my receivers set to a different IR codeset,
>> and control them with a single IR 'blaster' with 3 eyes.  One receiver is
>> set to code 1, the 2nd to code 6, and the 3rd to code 9.
>>

> What make/model IR Blaster do you use?  I'm using the the serial
> 'myblaster' which is sold by a now defunct company but at the time it was
> the only thing that worked for me.

I use a home-made Buffered Serial IR blaster with 3 IR emitters.

> See page 27 of this manual on how to change the remote control address on
>> the receiver.  (It's not your exact model, but all dish receivers have the
>> same setup menus.)   Note that it requires a working remote control to do
>> this... ;-)
>> http://www.dishnetwork.com/downloads/pdf/user_guides_and_manuals/510/Chapter2.pdf
>>

> If the procedure is "hold down the SAT button until the 4 buttons light up,
> then hit the new address, then hit pound, wait for the SAT button to flash 3
> times, and finally hit record" then yeah, I've got that.  :)  Apparently I
> did it so many times last night it's now committed to memory.

Yes, that's how to set the receiver to a new ir codeset. ;-)

>> I believe codes 1-9 are "IR" codes, and higher numbers are "UHF" codes, so
>> I'd just stick with 1-9.  And as previously noted, I used 1, 6 and 9 in my
>> configuration (not sure why I skipped 3, but oh well!  ;-) )
>>
>> Then configure your channel-change scripts to match for each receiver.
>>

> See my channel changing script goes off of codesets that look like "0167"
> and not 0-9.  So I'm not sure what those 4-digit numbers represent, but I
> have a list of them that should work with Echostar receivers.  But I don't
> mind switching out the whole IR thing just to get this to work.

You'll need a 'remote' section in your lircd.conf for each of your
receivers.  Take a look at the page on the wiki for the relevant dish_
sections to add to your lircd.conf
http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/DISHNetworkLIRCConfiguration

(see below for my files...)

> If you need more specific info, I'll be glad to share it with you.  ;-)
>>

> Thanks!  I'd really like to know about your IR blaster and your
> channel-changing scripts.
>
> I posted my channel-change scripts and relevant sections of my lircd.conf
file to my site at this url:
http://jartz.gotdns.com:8008/files/mythtv/lirc/

My scripts include a 'fix_audio" script as my system seems to be the victim
of an ivtv bug that results in 'scratchy' audio about 1/10th of the time on
my PVR recorders.  The called script fixes this by switching the audio input
about 2 seconds after the recording has started, and so far has fixed that
issue 100%... (It was getting SO annoying!)  -- Note that for some reason
the v4l2-ctl utility that was installed on my FC8 Box must have been an
older version and would only generate an error if I attempted to use
v4l2-ctl while the tuner was open by Myth, but when i downloaded and
compiled the latest tools from the ivtv website, the 'new' v4l2-ctl program
worked perfectly.

J-e-f-f-A