[mythtv-users] Anecdotal success story - Cox HD over firewire w/Mythbuntu 9.04

Bruce H McIntosh scotsman at afn.org
Wed Sep 23 17:04:06 UTC 2009

I got tired of trying to troubleshoot my Knoppmyth 5F27 and its firewire
issues.  Cox insisted that the fireware on the cable box (a Scientific
Atlanta SA4250HDC) was active and that my myth box was at fault, and
weeks' of scrounging through list archives and websites suggested there
were probably buggy-firewire-driver issues at play here.  Ok, so I
burned down the myth box (losing last season's Greys Anatomy and a bunch
of cooking shows we've already watched, and some analog Star Trek
episodes with a lot of snow) and installed Mythbuntu 9.04.  The install
went very smoothly, and lo and behold the cable box configured fine and
Just Worked(tm); recording in HD is working now.  Now to get that
terabyte and a half drive; the HD content really burns through the disk
space!