[mythtv-users] OT: Get off my SSD?!

Dave Richardson mythtv at derdev.com
Wed Sep 23 16:12:35 UTC 2009

I have an IONITX with a solid state disk (SSD) as a front-end.  I have
moved /tmp and /var/log to RAM drives in tmpfs to prevent frequent write
activity to the SSD.  I had expected very little drive activity to be
reported (as viewed by watching the HDD LED activity light) - however,
it's still fairly busy and seems to have a pattern of activity.

I need to figure out if there are processes still writing elsewhere to the
system on a regular basis.  I will either turn off the processes or direct
their activity to another tmpfs so that I can prolong the life of the SSD.

I've tried using "lsof" command to figure out what's active, but I really
don't understand what I'm seeing.  Any further guidance would be
appreciated!