[mythtv-users] Well supported, reliable PCI DVB-S card suggestions required

Jos Hoekstra joshoekstra at gmx.net
Wed Sep 23 13:25:24 UTC 2009

Per Jørgensen schreef op 23-9-2009 15:07:
> Stephen Robertson skrev:
>>> I'm using the Hauppauge HVR-4000 DVB-S DVB-S2 with out any problems at all -
>>> supported in the kernel etc!
>>>
>>> Per

>> Does this card (with myth) let you use the DVB-S and DVB-T
>> simultaneously?  One of my DVB-T cards has packed in and I'm also in
>> the market for a DVB-S2 card so this looked at first glance ideal?
>>
>> Stephen
>>
> Well - with normally use it should support that kind of usage.
> I'm only running the DVB-S - but can view 2different channels viewed on
> 2different TVs.
>
> since its a Quad tuner - IT should support it!

According to http://linuxtv.org/wiki/index.php/Hauppauge_WinTV-HVR-4000
and more specific:
Multiple frontends are supported: DVB-S/S2 and DVB-T appear as
/dev/dvb/adapterN/frontend0 and /dev/dvb/adapterN/frontend1 respectively.

Due to a hardware limitation, the two frontends cannot be used
simultaneously. However they can be used sequentially within the same
application. The driver handles the mutual exclusion appropriately.

DVB-T and DVB-S are supported within API v3.2 (or the new API v5.0) and
so it is compatible with current applications. DVB-S2 is accessed
through API v5.0, also known as S2API, which was released in kernel 2.6.28.

and:
sage with MythTV

Some programs such as MythTV v0.21 don't know about multiple frontends
yet. The following workaround may allow you to use both frontends however.

mkdir /dev/dvb/adapter1
ln -s /dev/dvb/adapter0/frontend1 /dev/dvb/adapter1/frontend0
ln -s /dev/dvb/adapter0/net1 /dev/dvb/adapter1/net0
ln -s /dev/dvb/adapter0/dvr1 /dev/dvb/adapter1/dvr0
ln -s /dev/dvb/adapter0/demux1 /dev/dvb/adapter1/demux0

This problem (reported as MythTV ticket #5061 ) may have been fixed by
MythTV changeset 17832

The date of the change (16/07/2008) is after the release of MythTV v0.21
(08/03/2008) so this is only available in SVN so far. Can someone
confirm or deny that it works?

Note that as of June 2009 MythTV still does not support S2API. See
ticket #5882.

Regards,

Jos Hoekstra