[mythtv-users] Well supported, reliable PCI DVB-S card suggestions required

RoboJ1M jim.neave at googlemail.com
Wed Sep 23 09:41:27 UTC 2009

Hi,

I intend to get a friend a PCI DVB-S card for his birthday because he wants
to build a MythTV box for his living room and only has access to an old Sky
installation (no terrestrial aerial)
We are in the UK.

Initially I was just going to get him a Hauppage Nova S Plus but it seems
there are problems with it (can't generate 22kHz diseqc tone preventing it
from tuning into certain channels) and as this is his first Linux project
ever I wanted to get him something that 'just works'.

Are there any card manufacturers out there providing real open source
support yet?
Should I really just go ahead and get the Nova S Plus? HD S2?
Any other cards worth considering?

Thanks,

James.