[mythtv-users] Zotac IONITX Performance

Eric Sharkey eric at lisaneric.org
Tue Sep 22 19:47:36 UTC 2009

On Tue, Sep 22, 2009 at 3:01 PM, James Oltman <cnlibmyth at gmail.com> wrote:
> HD (ATSC and QAM, h264 w HD audio, MPEG2, VC-1 w HD audio)
> Playing music (again, through SPDIF or HDMI)
> NES/Sega/SNES/N64 emulators
> Full screen  YouTube/Hulu (on a 1080p LCD)
>
> It's sounding like the ATOM board will be able to handle all this.  Am I
> right in saying this?

I don't know.  The first two should be no problem.  The latter two...
it depends.

I don't think the flash video player from Adobe will use VDPAU
extensions or anything like that and I don't know how much horsepower
the various emulators need.

The thing with hardware acceleration is that when you need to do what
the hardware was designed to do, everything is great, but then when
you need to do something else, there's a very steep performance drop
when you fall back to software.

I considered getting an Atom board for a machine in my bedroom a
couple of months back, but I ended up going for a C2D instead because
I was worried about things like flash performance and things other
than video playback that might not be accelerated.

Eric