[mythtv-users] Zotac IONITX Performance

Brian Wood beww at beww.org
Tue Sep 22 18:37:02 UTC 2009

On Tuesday 22 September 2009 12:30:52 David Asher wrote:
> On Sep 22, 2009, at 2:20 PM, MarcT wrote:
> > Do you mean a "minute" pause as in a "small" pause? Or do you mean a
> > pause
> > of
> > 60 seconds?
> >
> > The former might be tolerable, the latter would definitely be a
> > showstopper.
> >
> > Or, to put it another way, how long is the pause you are talking
> > about?

> > It is a split second but happens like every few mins when using
> > VDPAU, which
> > is only required for greater than 720p recordings. So it not all
> > playback
> > where you see this, only video with 1080i or p.
> >
> > MarcT
>
> I have a single core ION and I definitely do not see that.  That would
> drive me insane.  I use VDPAU for both SD and HD (all ATSC).
>
> I did have some issues with the 180.* series Nvidia drivers (general
> flakiness), since switching to the latest 185.* series driver playback
> has been fantastic.

I think the real test is high bitrate h264, as from an HD-PVR. With the
upcoming release of 0.22, many more folks may be using the HD-PVRs.

ATSC is MPEG2, relatively easy to decode, at least compared to h264.

Any solution that can't cope with h264 is off the table as far as I'm
concerned.

--
Brian Wood
beww at beww.org