[mythtv-users] Free Linux alternative to PlayOn?

David Madsen david.madsen at gmail.com
Mon Sep 21 18:47:12 UTC 2009

>> I'm willing to pay $20 to PlayOn if it keeps me from wasting 40 hours
>> trying to get a "free" package to work and never succeeding. Yeah the whole
>> windows thing sucks, but if I can get it going in a VM at least I don't
>> have any additional hardware costs.
>
> It's working for me in a VM under VirtualBox. VirtualBox is running on a
> quad-Opteron (2x275s) machine with 16GB of RAM, using Debian Etch as the host
> OS.

Just as another data point, I'm also running it in a VM using the KVM
modules (virtualization extensions, etc)  and qemu-kvm.  The machine
is a Q6600 2.4ghz (core2 quad) .  I have 512 MiB of memory and about
15 GiB disk space allocated to the VM process and runs fine for me
running WinXP.  I use it mainly for Netflix and Hulu streaming to a
PS3.

If you can find it when it's on sale, it's well worth what you pay
for.  There are occasional glitches when one of the hosting web sites
changes their interface, but thus far they have been quick at
releasing compatibility updates.  I have been using it on and off for
the better part of a year.  Stability has definitely increased since I
started using it, and it's very easy to get working.  I do wish they
had native Linux support but as others have mentioned, the Netflix DRM
is somewhat tied to the Windows platform at the moment.