[mythtv-users] Persistent horizontal artifact ? Interlace artifact.

Richard Shaw hobbes1069 at gmail.com
Mon Sep 21 14:49:44 UTC 2009

On Mon, Sep 21, 2009 at 4:51 AM, William <william_munson at comcast.net> wrote:
> Oz wrote:
>>
>> Hi,
>>
>> I would appreciated any help with a problem that I have not been able to
>> solve.
>>
>> I have a moving horizontal line artifact when there is a fast moving
>> scene. It goes away when freezing the image.
>> It is almost as if the computer cannot keep up with the motion. But the
>> CPU is far less then 100% It is in the teens
>>
>> OS: Ubuntu 9.04  Mythtv 0.22 Video card Nvidia 8600gts or 9600gt
>>
>> I have the same problem if the source image is in 720p or 1080i.
>> either from ATSC (1080i) tuner card or HDPVR(1080i or 720p) as tuner.
>>
>> The Nvidia mode is setup to 1080p (the TV is 1080p)
>>  It is either auto detected or because of the option in Xorg.conf :
>>  Option         "metamodes" "DFP-1: 1920x1080_60 +0+0"
>>
>> VPDAU is enabled.
>> The problem occurs in all deinterlaced options. The problem occurs in 720p
>> without deintrlacing.
>>
>> If I set the nvidia mode to 1080i will this solve the problem. (what is
>> the metamode option for 1080i, on dvi output?)
>>
>> -Thanks
>
> Sounds like video tearing. Try adding the disable composite flag to your
> xorg.conf. Sorry I am not where I can pull up the exact command.
>
> William

Yes, try disabling Composite and AIGLX for starters. I had the same
problem even though I had Composite disabled until I figured out that
the one of the nvidia packages (either atrpms or rpmfusion can't
remember now) turned on ADDARGBVISUALS which requires Composite be
enabled so there was a conflict of options. Disabling both fixed it
for me.  Here's my xorg.conf with some notes if it helps:

Section "ServerLayout"

        #InputDevice    "Mouse0" "CorePointer"
        #InputDevice    "Keyboard0" "CoreKeyboard"
        Identifier     "Default Layout"
        Screen      0  "Screen0" 0 0
EndSection

Section "Files"
        ModulePath   "/usr/lib64/xorg/modules"
EndSection

Section "ServerFlags"
        Option      "AIGLX" "off"   <--- Check for this.
EndSection

Section "InputDevice"

    # generated from data in "/etc/sysconfig/keyboard"
        Identifier  "Keyboard0"
        Driver      "kbd"
        Option      "XkbLayout" "us"
        Option      "XkbModel" "pc105"
EndSection

Section "InputDevice"

    # generated from default
        Identifier  "Mouse0"
        Driver      "mouse"
        Option      "Protocol" "auto"
        Option      "Device" "/dev/input/mice"
        Option      "Emulate3Buttons" "no"
        Option      "ZAxisMapping" "4 5"
EndSection

Section "Monitor"
        Identifier   "Monitor0"
        VendorName   "Unknown"
        ModelName    "Unknown"
        HorizSync    28.0 - 33.0
        VertRefresh  43.0 - 72.0
        Option      "DPMS"
EndSection

Section "Device"
        Identifier  "Videocard0"
        Driver      "nvidia"
EndSection

Section "Screen"
        Identifier "Screen0"
        Device     "Videocard0"
        Monitor    "Monitor0"
        DefaultDepth     24
        Option      "UseEvents" "True"
        Option      "NoLogo" "True"
        Option      "UseDisplayDevice" "CRT"
        Option      "ExactModeTimingsDVI" "True"
        Option      "ModeValidation" "NoWidthAlignmentCheck"
        #Option     "AddARGBGLXVisuals" "True"    <----- This line commented out
        SubSection "Display"
                Viewport   0 0
                Depth     24
                Modes    "1366x768_60" "1024x768" "800x600" "640x480"
        EndSubSection
EndSection

Section "Extensions"
        Option      "Composite" "Disable"   <---- Check for this too