[mythtv-users] BBC HD recorded show length wrong in mythfrontend

David Knight dlknight at sdf.lonestar.org
Sun Sep 20 10:06:03 UTC 2009

On Sun, September 20, 2009 12:42 am, belcampo wrote:
> Here
> http://compression.ru/video/codec_comparison/mpeg-4_avc_h264_2005_en.html
> one can read that some encoders are much more efficient than others for
> the same quality.
>>
>> I also used to be able to watch the recordings on my Windows PC through
>> Mythweb asx stream but that doesn't work anymore (guessing this is the
>> encoder change) Windows Media Player reports that the codec is unknown.
> The installed software is to blame. Hardware encoders working according
>   to the h264 specs work without a problem.

> A month ago I wrote this on the ffmpeg-user list
>
> BBCHD fps mis-interpretation
>
> It seems BBCHD streams from DVB-S have changed, it always was MBAFF
> interlaced, now it is interpreted as 50fps
> Stream #0.0[0x157c]: Video: h264, yuv420p, 1440x1080 [PAR 4:3 DAR 16:9],
> 50 tbr, 90k tbn, 50 tbc
>
> Although mediainfo for the same file says:
>
> Frame rate                       : 25.000
> Frame rate                       : 25.000 fps
> Frame count                      : 97582
> Resolution                       : 24
> Resolution                       : 24 bits
> Colorimetry                      : 4:2:0
> Scan type                        : Interlaced
> Scan type                        : Interlaced
> Scan order                       : TFF
> Scan order                       : Top Field First
> Interlacement                    : TFF

Hi Belcampo,

   I understand that some encoders are more efficient than others. But the
detoriation in quality is noticeable with BBC HD - hence the BBC's
response to a large number of complainents.

   You also mentioned that hardware encoders don't have problems yet the
BBC say there is a problem which they have raised with their encoder
suppliers... -
http://whathifi.com/News/BBC-admits-to-problems-with-new-HD-encoders/

   Has there been any feedback on the FFMPEG list yet?

Dave K.