[mythtv-users] OT: Audio Recommendations

Mark Garland mythtvusers at markgarland.co.uk
Sat Sep 19 11:33:05 UTC 2009

> Oh for the days when speakers were actual furniture rather than
> technogeeky boxes.....
>
> :-)
>
> I've always been partial to the large-ish speakers.  I have a pair of
> Bose 401 (from before Bose became a junk marketing company and actually
> made speakers) and they look good as well as sound good.  I used to have
> a pair of AR -3a's that had real walnut cabinets....
>
> Anyway, if you can get a set of speakers that complement your decor, go
> for it.  My rear channel speakers act as side tables for the sofa; a
> good place for magazines and drinks.  (buy cheap ones so you don't mind
> spilling your favorite adult beverage on them.)
>
> I'd say for TV listening, which is pretty limited, buy speakers that are
> attractive and not overpriced.  Pretty much anything will be better than
> the crap they put in TVs.
>
> For the amp, do yourself a favor and buy a T-amp.
> http://www.tnt-audio.com/ampli/t-amp_e.html  Nothing will even come
> close for the value.  And I mean *nothing*.
>
> --Yan

Hi Yan,

Thanks very much for your reply.

I looked at that link - and wow - what a cheap amp.  Very tempting.

As well as the MythBox, I also have a DVD player (mainly cause Myth's
handling of DVDs seems quite broken for me), so I was wondering how I would
get the audio into that.  Currently, the mythbox goes into the tv via
DVI-HDMI, with the audio going through a 3.5mm jack.  The DVD's audio goes
through it's own HDMI.  So, if I buy computer speakers, the mythbox would
sound excellent and the DVD player not so good (as it would just have the tv
speakers to use).

I contemplated using an output from the tv into the computer speakers, etc.
This could still work.

Talking to a colleague, he had the same issues and bought
http://www.dvd-home-cinema.co.uk/amplifiers-and-receivers/review-of-the-onky
o-tx-sr606-av-receiver/
They now have the 607 out.  Not cheap at £300-£400, and you'd then need to
buy speakers too, but tempting.  I've also warmed the gf to the idea of 5.1,
significantly lowering its WAF.  The idea that one little optical audio lead
can carry all the 5.1 data is also tempting.

Thing is, I wouldn't know a good amp or a good set of speakers if I saw
them.  Gonna go out shopping later and see what the salesmen have to say,
then it'll be a case of reading up on it I think...

Thanks once again,

MG