[mythtv-users] volume control not working in mythtv 0.22 SVN trunk

Clark Lee clarkchen900 at yahoo.com.cn
Sat Sep 19 04:47:13 UTC 2009

Hi,

This should be a pretty old problem - I have searched internet and found quite a lot pages. However, I have tried them but neither worked for me.

My system:pre-compile trunk r21831 on ubuntu 9.04.
A 7134 based caputer card which only has a composite input; to get video input from STB;
Integrated sound: Audio input is connnect from the right/left sound output of STB;
LiveTV, record, all works fine.

--> The issue:
in mythtv, when I push remote volume up and down, the Volume bar goes up and down, but the sound stays the same. Mute doesn't work either, while a 'mute on' 'mute off' is shown on screen.

--> Tried the following one but still doesn't work
Changing Mixer Device from /dev/mixer to ALSA:default fixed the problem

--> external change script
This seem a bit overkill to me... I don't need to control surrend sound, etc. Just Right/Left sound output.

There are two places related to the sound control setting, I believe:
1) mythtv-setup->capture card->Capture Card Setup
Video Device: /dev/video0
Audio Device: /dev/dsp (set to others. like dsp1, ro ALSA:default will not have any sound in mythtv)

2) myth-frontend->settings->general->
Audio system:
audio output device": "ALSA:default" but "/dev/dsp" doesn't maetter.
Audio Mixer:
Use interal volumn ocntrols
Mixer device: ALSA:default
Mixer controls: Master/PCM doesn't affect it

Any idea on how to deal with it?

Thanks,

Clark