[mythtv-users] Free Linux alternative to PlayOn?

Brian Wood beww at beww.org
Fri Sep 18 20:57:34 UTC 2009

On Friday 18 September 2009 14:49:36 David Brodbeck wrote:
> On Fri, September 18, 2009 1:43 pm, Brian Wood wrote:
> > They say they are working on Mac and Linux versions, but I suspect they
> > will
> > work on Mac first, though, being Unix, that should put them a long way
> > along
> > towards Linux support.
>
> Netflix also supports Macs, now.
>
> If PlayON ever does roll out a Linux version, I suspect it won't include
> NetFlix support unless NetFlix adds Linux support as well.

I tend to agree, though there are Netflix players that run Linux (I think the
Roku box is Linux), that doesn't mean that there is any open source support
for the Netflix stuff.

Sort of like Tivo, it runs Linux, but there are proprietarty drivers in there.

Even if Linux "support" did happen, it would probably be some sort of
proprietary binary blob.

It's more than likely the content providers who will try to slow and/or stop
Linux support, they still see any Linux user as a "pirate".

--
Brian Wood
beww at beww.org