[mythtv-users] Not quite OT, but close. A letter to congress.

Brian Wood beww at beww.org
Fri Sep 18 14:51:00 UTC 2009

On Friday 18 September 2009 08:28:39 Eric Ladner wrote:
> I'm preparing to send the following letter to my congressmen.   Would
> anyone here care to comment on the content or possibly make
> corrections or additions before I do?  Once it's done, anybody would
> be free to use this letter, also.

I think you will get more attention if you suggest a specific action ("vote
for or against the X bill), rather than speak in generalities.

Few Congressmen are technically aware, and they usually just want to know how
their constituents feel about a particular bill (not that they will
necessarily act on those feelings).

They leave the details to assistants.

If there isn't any bill before the House that pertains to what you are talking
about, you will generally get ignored.

Remember Mark Twain's definition of a vacuum: "Picture something as empty as
if there had been something of value there and a congressman had happened
by".

--
Brian Wood
beww at beww.org