[mythtv-users] Free Linux alternative to PlayOn?

David Brieck Jr. dbrieck at gmail.com
Fri Sep 18 13:27:28 UTC 2009

I'll let you know how this goes, but I just got a Wii for our house and I'm
planning on trying out PlayOn in a Windows virtual machine. They have the 14
day trial so I'm willing to give it a shot.
I've been looking for a good opensource package that will work with Hulu,
but Boxee (http://www.boxee.tv) has never been able to play Hulu
consistently good for me (audio problems, lockups, etc), plus they seem to
only support the most recent Ubuntu release which is terrible for someone
who never upgrades.

I'm willing to pay $20 to PlayOn if it keeps me from wasting 40 hours trying
to get a "free" package to work and never succeeding. Yeah the whole windows
thing sucks, but if I can get it going in a VM at least I don't have any
additional hardware costs.

Twitter - http://twitter.com/dbrieck
Facebook - http://www.facebook.com/david.brieck
Flickr - http://www.flickr.com/brieck