[mythtv-users] Strange issue with 180 series nvidia drivers

Richard Shaw hobbes1069 at gmail.com
Thu Sep 17 03:23:59 UTC 2009

Ok Pre-question details:
OS: Fedora 10 64bit
Myth: bijou package from atrpms
Displaymanager: GDM (auto login to mythtv user)
Window Manager: openbox
Video Card: Nvidia 8400GS PCI-E
Video drivers: rpmfusion packaged, versions 180.51 & 180.60.

On to the question:
Could someone please help me understand the relationship between
gnome-session-properties and the video driver? After upgrading to
nvidia drivers 180.51, my myth startup scrip (setup per Jarod's guide)
no longer ran automatically on login. I have since upgraded to 180.60
and still had the problem. When changing to various versions of the
drivers I noticed something kept changing my xorg.conf back to the
"nv" driver with AIGLX and Composite turned on and when I started X
using the nv driver my startup scrip would run, but of course
performance would be terrible.

Since I was pretty sure I didn't need AIGLX for a dedicated myth box I
tried changing the Composite setting to Enable and the autostart
script started working again, however with Composite enabled I'm
seeing tearing on HD content (haven't tried SD content).

Anyone have any suggestions?

I tried installing the 190.25 drivers from atrpms but even with what
seemed like all the packages necessary there was no nvidia.ko file
created in /lib/modules/<kernel>/extra/nvidia. Going back to the
rpmfusion package was also an adventure because uninstalling the
atrpms package did not remove the entries in modprobe.conf referencing
the 190.25 drivers.

Thanks,
Richard

current xorg.conf:
Section "ServerLayout"

#InputDevice    "Mouse0" "CorePointer"
#InputDevice    "Keyboard0" "CoreKeyboard"
Identifier     "Default Layout"
Screen      0  "Screen0" 0 0
EndSection

Section "Files"
ModulePath   "/usr/lib64/xorg/modules"
EndSection

Section "ServerFlags"
Option    "AIGLX" "off"
EndSection

Section "InputDevice"

   # generated from data in "/etc/sysconfig/keyboard"
Identifier  "Keyboard0"
Driver      "kbd"
Option    "XkbLayout" "us"
Option    "XkbModel" "pc105"
EndSection

Section "InputDevice"

   # generated from default
Identifier  "Mouse0"
Driver      "mouse"
Option    "Protocol" "auto"
Option    "Device" "/dev/input/mice"
Option    "Emulate3Buttons" "no"
Option    "ZAxisMapping" "4 5"
EndSection

Section "Monitor"
Identifier   "Monitor0"
VendorName   "Unknown"
ModelName    "Unknown"
HorizSync    28.0 - 33.0
VertRefresh  43.0 - 72.0
Option    "DPMS"
EndSection

Section "Device"
Identifier  "Videocard0"
Driver      "nvidia"
EndSection

Section "Screen"
Identifier "Screen0"
Device     "Videocard0"
Monitor    "Monitor0"
DefaultDepth     24
Option    "UseEvents" "True"
Option    "NoLogo" "True"
Option    "UseDisplayDevice" "CRT"
Option    "ExactModeTimingsDVI" "True"
Option    "ModeValidation" "NoWidthAlignmentCheck"
Option    "AddARGBGLXVisuals" "True"
SubSection "Display"
Viewport   0 0
Depth     24
Modes    "1366x768_60" "1024x768" "800x600" "640x480"
EndSubSection
EndSection

Section "Extensions"
Option    "Composite" "Enable"