[mythtv-users] Performance issues with new 9400GT

Johnny jarpublic at gmail.com
Thu Sep 17 03:22:48 UTC 2009

> I am using myth to correct the overscan for the GUI, but I am still
> just putting up with it for recordings.  The Nvidia documentation
> seems to indicate that the TVOverScan option should be a number
> between 0.0 and 1.0, with 0 being disabled and 1 being the maximum
> amount of overscan.  Even on 0.0 the overscan is huge, at 1.0 it is
> seems about the same.

Generally overscan is caused by the TV not the video card. The
settings that let you adjust for overscan don't seem to work or are
simply not available with the 8xxx and newer cards in the nvidia linux
drivers. There are several threads discussing this on the list and no
one has a solution. The adjustment is available in the windows driver
so there is some hope that it may be available again in the linux
drivers at some point. Some people have reported that there does seem
to be more significant overscan than normal with the newer nvidia
cards in particular. It has been a pain for me but mine is just the
normal overscan caused by my TV. I just made my toolbars really big
and set them to autohide in xfce, and then I adjusted the screen with
the mythtv wizard.