[mythtv-users] How do I get coverart/etc in watch recordings?

Michael T. Dean mtdean at thirdcontact.com
Thu Sep 17 01:24:16 UTC 2009

On 09/16/2009 08:39 PM, Jean-Yves Avenard wrote:
> 2009/9/17 Michael T. Dean:
>
>> Just in case someone reading this is tempted to try not using actimeo=0, the
>> /only/ way that LiveTV with backend LiveTV directories NFS mounted to the
>> frontend works in MythTV is with actimeo=0.  And, it's basically a
>> requirement for Myth anywhere one system is writing things and another
>> tries/needs to see them immediately.
>>
> I have been using MythTV on a split frontend/backend since 0.18 (or
> maybe even 0.17), always mounted over NFS, and following your advice,
> it's the only time I set it up (nor knew about this).
>
> After reading all the performance impact, I disabled it once again.
>
> It's never been an issue , even for liveTV with stream from backend or
> direct access.
>
> So it can definitely work without it from what I can see

Regardless, anyone reading this, please read (and consider the
information on) both of those links I posted before disabling actimeo=0

http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/Optimizing_Performance#Network_File_Systems

If you disable it and get tons of:

<timestamp> RingBuf(/path/to/file.mpg) Waited # seconds for data to
become available...

followed by a:

<timestamp> RingBuf(/path/to/file.mpg) Error: Waited 16 seconds for
data, aborting.
<timestamp> NVP::OpenFile(): Error, couldn't read file: /path/to/file.mpg

I might not be around to say, "I told you so," when you're posting to
the list trying to figure out why Myth broke.  ;)

Note that if you're using Myth proto streaming, the NFS configuration
won't be an issue.  Note that you may be using Myth proto streaming even
if you have NFS mounts.

Also, just a reminder, the MythTV backend, not the frontend, records and
writes TV files to the storage directories.  As f-myth-users explicitly
said that performance was unaffected when the client reads from the NFS
server, a frontend's mounting a backend's storage using actimeo=0 is not
going to cause a huge performance impact, since the frontend is reading,
not writing, the data.

Mike