[mythtv-users] How do I get coverart/etc in watch recordings?

Jarod Wilson jarod at wilsonet.com
Wed Sep 16 21:03:47 UTC 2009

On Sep 16, 2009, at 4:47 PM, Jean-Yves Avenard wrote:
> 2009/9/17 Jarod Wilson <jarod at wilsonet.com>:
>> Yes. It only happens the first time you visit the videos after
>> selecting a
>> theme. There are assorted image transformations done, then cached
>> and loaded
>> into memory, as part of your theme cache. Quite painful at first
>> for me w/my
>> ION frontend, but now (even after reboots) as long as I don't
>> change themes,
>> its all rather snappy.
>
> I wouldn't have posted my concern if it was a one time issue. I
> understand that some work is involved in scaling, transparency etc..
> But the delay occurs every time, not just once.

Ah. That wasn't clear to me from your initial post. Perhaps I didn't
read carefully enough though.

> Here is what I do:
> select the video
> Info -> Download metadata.
> now move to another video.
> Exit mythvideo, come back, go to the video 2s delay..
>
> Now I've found that if I completely exist mythfrontend, restart it,
> and go back to that video: then now there's no more delay.
>
> Another case:
> I have a folder containing one video.
> I go into the folder, select the video, info -> Download metadata
> go up a directory, covertart appear after about 2s (that's on a
> 3.16GHz C2D)
> go into the directory -> wait 2s , coverart appear.
>
> Now if I exit mythfrontend and go back to that folder, wait 2s,
> coverart appear.
> If I now go inside that directory, the coverart appear instantly.
> If I go back up one level, the coverart now appears immediately.
> I can repeat that behaviour everytime I try. The coverart for the
> folder after a restart, seems to be cached only when I go to the
> folder and on the video inside.
>
> So something isn't right ...

I had that same feeling until after I'd explicitly visited every item
in mythvideo after running jamu to grab everything, but recently, I've
run into zero slothfulness, even on this lowly ION. I'm just a dumb
user here though, I haven't looked at any of the code or anything, nor
do I have any true insight into the issue... Robert is the man on this
one, and perhaps there's some other useful info in that thread Mike
pointed to (dunno, I have an itchy delete finger, didn't look at it, -
ENOTIME). :)

--
Jarod Wilson
jarod at wilsonet.com