[mythtv-users] Bluetooth / rf universal remote?

Marc Randolph mrand at pobox.com
Wed Sep 16 17:02:11 UTC 2009

On Wed, Sep 16, 2009 at 10:33 AM, Jarod Wilson <jarod at wilsonet.com> wrote:
> On Sep 16, 2009, at 11:25 AM, Yan Seiner wrote:

>>> What are you trying to control? If it needs IR you'll have to convert to
>>> IR
>>> somehow.
>>
>> This is a computer for the car.  It sits under the seat.  All I want is to
>> control myth running on this box.
>>
>> I physically can't run any more cables to the drop-down monitor so the
>> receiver has to be at the computer.
>
> Bluetooth dongle plus PS3 remote is known to be a functional combo. An ATI
> Remote Wonder would also work, but the receivers for those are fairly bulky.

Harmony seems to have a huge following... perhaps pick up a used or
refurbished one for not too much.

I have the Dell derivative of the GYR4101.  For some not-very-good
reasons, I'm not using it currently, but am about to fire it back up -
2009 kernels should support it, and I documented lirc codes a while
back.  Anyway, Gyration GYR3101 and GYR4101 should work as well... in
fact, there is a rebate on the GYR4101US until end of September from
authorized sellers, and you can also get 8% cash back via bing.  Here
are some somewhat dated details (price has gone back up and cashback
is back to 8% rather than 16%):
http://forums.slickdeals.net/showthread.php?t=1514075
GYR4101US (with RF keyboard) should be about $50
GYR4101CKUS (with RF keyboard) should be about $65
You can't get broken RF remotes for those prices.

The LCD doesn't work with Linux... one of my dreams is to figure that
out (and would welcome some help).

   Marc