[mythtv-users] NAS with flash drive?

Brian Wood beww at beww.org
Wed Sep 16 16:21:44 UTC 2009

On Wednesday 16 September 2009 10:16:20 Jeff wrote:
> On Wed, Sep 16, 2009 at 11:04 AM, Eric Sharkey <eric at lisaneric.org> wrote:
> > On Wed, Sep 16, 2009 at 10:45 AM, Brian Wood <beww at beww.org> wrote:
> > > I would describe this as a triumph of engineering over common sense.
> > > The
> >
> > slug
> >
> > > has no video hardware, you have tro display on a different machine.
> >
> > I think the idea is that this is a backend only, not a frontend.
> >
> > The slug should be more than powerful enough to open a network port
> > and receive a recording from an HDHR tuner or something like that.
>
> I think you are over-estimating the resources on the NSLU2.  For one,
> although it's processor is spec'd at 266MHz, it's under-clocked at 1/2 that
> speed - 133MHz.  (There's a hack to 'fix' that, which I've done, but many
> may be afraid to do such a hack.)  Then there's memory - only 32MB, etc.
> Memory is pretty full already.

The last NSLU2s that were shipped apparently were already "de-underclocked" to
266Mhz. The "hack" was simply removing a chip resistor.

I read somewhere that they were originally underclocked due to problems
meeting the FCC part 15 incidental radiation spec., later units had better
shielding.

> You'd have a better chance of running a backend successfully on an iPhone.
> ;-)

Well it does have a display.

--
Brian Wood