[mythtv-users] HDMI over IP

Allen Edwards allen.p.edwards at gmail.com
Wed Sep 16 15:47:49 UTC 2009

The interesting thing is that it says you can feed multiple displays.
That isn't in the DHCP spec and one wonders if all the displays have
to be DHCP or if only one does.  Maybe I am not clear.  The source is
going to insist that there is a valid HDMI display device before it
sends anything out.  If there are 10 displays, there isn't anything in
the spec that I know of that allows this.  If the source is only
looking for one valid device, then do the others just work?  What
about displays that insist on valid HDMI sources?  Will they all get
the word that the source is DHCP?  In other words, the spec is set up
for a handshake between source and display.  How do you shake hands
with 10 displays at once.

I had a non HDMI projector and a HDMI DVD player.  I had this DHCP
compliant splitter/amplifier that would handshake with the source and
everything worked.  As there was no splitter in the spec, they just
had the splitter do the handshake and passed the data to both outputs.
 Everything worked fine until I got a new display that was HDMI
compliant and it wouldn't display because the splitter would not
handshake with the display, just the source.  Now I have this
wonderful splitter/amplifier that I used to drive my very long HDMI
cable which no longer works.  I also have to turn on the projector
before the DVD player or nothing works.  I hate copy protection.  It
is a pain in the butt.

Allen