[mythtv-users] Network terminals, regulation, and regulation avoidance

Brian Wood beww at beww.org
Tue Sep 15 18:34:47 UTC 2009

On Tuesday 15 September 2009 12:29:12 Eric Sharkey wrote:
> On Tue, Sep 15, 2009 at 2:21 PM, Brian Wood <beww at beww.org> wrote:
> >>      Use the classic way of doing this. If you don't have HBO and don't
> >> want any pay-per-view channels then you should not be required to use
> >> any sort of "box". Everything should be in the clear on the cable just
> >> like the "good old days".
> >
> > I agree, that's the way it should be, but I doubt it ever will be so
> > again.
>
> It's going to be better, but not soon.  The internet will slowly take
> over and IPTV will rule.  I expect it will take 10 - 20 years before
> the transition is complete, but eventually the mythical convergence
> will happen.

We'll get there, eventually. Can you imagine if every subscriber with a cable
modem started streaming video during prime time? I suspect the cable
companies's infrastructure would cave in fast.

Eventually the cable companies who provide internet service will figure out
that they are competing with themselves, and try to put a stop to it,
probably in the name of "stopping piracy".

I suspect the days of unlimited bandwidth are short.

--
Brian Wood
beww at beww.org