[mythtv-users] HD-PVR IR blaster

Victor Brunini vbrunini at mit.edu
Mon Sep 14 21:24:41 UTC 2009

I've been trying to test the IR blaster functionality on my HD-PVR
with this patch,
unfortunately I'm running into some issues. First I tried option 1, the prebuilt
Fedora kernel package, and using that lirc_zilog recognizes the hd-pvr's ir

chip perfectly and I've been able to successfully use it to change
channels on my
cable box. However, using that version causes the hd-pvr to lock up
randomly 5-10
minutes into a recording, and attempting to modprobe -r either the hdpvr or

lirc_zilog modules hangs and eventually leads to a kernel oops after a minute or
so.

I decided to try to follow your 2nd suggestion and pull your 2.6.31
git tree by cloning
Linus' and then adding you as a remote to see if it was any more
stable. I also applied

the *http://wilsonet.com/jarod/junk/hdpvr-ir/hdpvr-ir-enable.patch* as
you said to.
The kernel compiles and boots fine and the hdpvr records without any
of the instability

I observed with your precompiled Fedora kernel, however the lirc_zilog
module no longer
recognizes the IR chip. When I run modprobe lirc_zilog debug=1 I get:

lirc_dev: IR Remote Control driver registered, major 248

lirc_zilog: Zilog/Hauppauge IR driver initializing
lirc_zilog: initialization complete

but no mention of it probing for the device. I've looked through
lirc_zilog.c a bit and
it seems that in 2.6.31 the ir_probe function is never getting run,
whereas it is in 2.6.30,

but I haven't been able to figure out why. I've checked to make sure
that the hdpvr i2c adapter
is still being created using i2cdetect and it shows:

i2c-0	i2c       	Hauppauge HD PVR I2C            	I2C adapter

which is the same as for the 2.6.30 kernel. Any idea what I'm doing
wrong? Thanks for all
the work you've already put in to getting the driver working.

Victor