[mythtv-users] Will we ever have Clear QAM WAS: Seattle Times: Comcast to encrypt basic cable QAM channels

David Brodbeck gull at gull.us
Mon Sep 14 21:09:09 UTC 2009

On Mon, September 14, 2009 1:36 pm, James Crow wrote:
> Let me look at it from a different angle. What if the cable co left all
> expanded basic channels clear QAM they would have no way to prevent the
> users with basic cable from receiving the expanded basic channels. I do
> not know how their system works, but I think they need some way to
> prevent users from viewing material they do not pay for.

The old method was to use trap filters that blocked the higher channel
frequencies.  However, this required someone to climb the pole to install
or remove a filter for each subscriber that switched to or from basic
cable.  By forcing everyone to get a set-top box they can just reconfigure
the box remotely from the head end.