[mythtv-users] HDMI audio working in Firefox/Flash, but not MythTV

Laura Donovan Bannister geekgerl at gmail.com
Mon Sep 14 19:56:59 UTC 2009

Hi guys,

Sorry to post yet another audio question, but I've spent countless hours
trying to figure this out with no luck. I just built my first Mythbuntu 9.04
box, with the onboard sound passing audio to the Nvidia 9500GT card via
SPDIF. I ran an HDMI cable from the Nvidia card to the TV. HDMI audio is
working fine when I watch Flash apps like Hulu and YouTube in Firefox, but I
can't seem to get audio working in MythTV. I've tried every combination of
settings I could think to try on the audio configuration page, but nothing
seems to work. I also ran alsamixer to make sure that all channels were
unmuted. This is my first MythTV install, and so I'm wondering if I've
missed something simple :)

Here are the current audio settings I'm using:

Audio output device: ALSA:spdif (I've tried all the other ones too)
Passthrough output device: ALSA:iec958:{ AES0 0x02 }
Max Audio Channels: 5.1
Upmix: Passive
Enable AC3 to SPDIF passthrough (checked)
Enable DTS to SPDIF passthrough (checked)
Agressive Sound card Buffering (unchecked)
Use internal volume controls (unchecked)

I've used two different /etc/asound.conf files. Both work fine with
Flash/Firefox, but neither made a difference in MythTV.

File 1:

pcm.!default {
        type plug
        slave {