[mythtv-users] Sound system is maxing out the CPU (Fedora 11)

John Nissley jnissley at nissley.org
Mon Sep 14 19:52:02 UTC 2009

I am playing HD 720P programing on a dual core Intel 2.53 GHZ
processor.  I noticed that I was running one CPU at 100% when playing
back the content.  I found a troubleshooting guide and it recommended
setting the Audio output device to NULL to see if ALSA:default would be
causing any problems.  When I set the Audio output device to NULL the
CPU drops from 100% to 20%.  There was no indication in the
troubleshooting guide if it is normal to have any 80% drop when doing
this of if that means I have a sound set up problem.

Here is some extra information:
Removed pulse audio and I am still using 100% CPU.
I only have ALSA, ARTS and JACK audio output devices
I am currently not using digital out.
I am running Fedora 11
Not using XvMC
I am running a fairly recent trunk version of .22 but do not think this
has anything to do with it.

Do I have a configuration problem or just underpowered processor?