[mythtv-users] OT: DirecTV Error Message.

clemens at dwf.com clemens at dwf.com
Mon Sep 14 00:26:00 UTC 2009

This is a bit off topic, but really has to do with what sort of flags
the digital signal has embedded in it.

I have both a DVR from DirecTV and MythTV set up on my computer.
Unfortunately I havent recorded the same program on both machines to
try to understand this 'problem'.

A couple of months ago, I was recording 'Merlin' from NBC.  I let them
accumulate before I watched them, thinking that I should really watch
them in order. ((after watching an episode or two, it became clear that
the stories were more or less independent, and 'order' was not a problem.))

In any case, when I went back to watch the first of these hese, (about
6 episodes had accumulated) I had problems. When I tried to watch the
first 4 episodes I got the message:

        Searching for authorized content.

from the DVR, and never got to view any program.
With the last two I could view the program OK.

Just yesterday, I tuned into 'AutoWeek' late on our local PBS station, KNME,
Channel 5.  They were reviewing a car I was interested in, but I had missed
the beginning of the story, so I looked at the program guide, and saw that it
was playing on Channel 9 (which only identifies itself as 'PBS') in another
hour so so, so I set the machine to record the whole program then.

When I went back to watch the program later that evening, I got the above
message, viz:

        Searching for authorized content.

when I tried to play the copy from Channel 9, but was able to play what
I had, just fine from Channel 5.

---

OK, so here is/are the questions:

    (1) Is there information in the digital stream that can say, 'only let
this person record and watch this program for say 30days, and after that
dis allow viewing.  This would allow normal time shifting, but nor saving
the program.  I wouldnt put it past these idiots to do something like that
if it were available.

    (2) Why would a program on PBS have a bit set (if that is possible)
to say you cant record/watch this program (ok record, but not watch) ???
Seems totally bizarre.

Or, is there some other explanation?

I 'kinda doubt that I would have had problems if I had recorded these
tings via MythTV, but at the moment I sitting behind some bug in the
system that allows me to go thru all the motions of setting a program
to record, but then doesnt set anything (the 'R' doesnt come on).
Im hopeing that this bug will be fixed (or a workaround moted) so
that I can record things on both systems again.

--
                                        Reg.Clemens
                                        reg at dwf.com