[mythtv-users] Auto Transcoding Not Working

bit maelstrom dsblakewatson at gmail.com
Sun Sep 13 06:05:03 UTC 2009

> Make sure the tuner has transcoding enabled.

OK, not sure what that means: I don't see a tuner-specific transcoding
option. Right now I have the "Default Transcoder" set to Medium Quality, and
the Deferral days for auto-transcode set to 0. Plus "run transcoder" is
checked. There is a "Medium Quality" transcoder profile that I use
frequently.

> For auto-transcoding, make sure you have the right transcoder profile
> defined.  For example, I had to create 3 new profiles, called
> “Autodetect from 1080i”, “Autodetect from 720p”, and “Autodetect from
> 480i”.  You can find this setup in Utilities / Setup > Setup > TV
> Settings > Recording Profiles > Transcoders.  Check the backend logs
> to see whether it is looking for a transcoder profile that doesn't
> exist.

OK, I've definitely got stuff setup the way I want as far as transcoding
profiles go. The Default is showing the dropdown list that matches my setup
recording profiles.

When I look at the actual log, though, I don't see it looking for any
transcoders at all. I set up a show, recorded it, checked the logs and found
it only listed for one thing. (This is looking at mythbackend.log.)

Thanks for the help.

???