[mythtv-users] Blinking lines in LiveTV/Recorded Video

Jeff junk_inbox at verizon.net
Sat Sep 12 22:51:02 UTC 2009

On Sat, Sep 12, 2009 at 6:07 AM, Clark Lee <clarkchen900 at yahoo.com.cn>wrote:

> I am using an external STB for composite video and audio input for TV
> signal. The signal is PAL-DK of China
> The LiveTV/Record profile are using default settings as RTjpeg, quality
> 170, etc.
>
> The video has some annoying problem, as the all the horizantal lines,
> especiall white lines with black/dark background, seems blinking with a few
> Hz frequency.
>
> This problem doesn't exist if I use TvTime to view the signal from the same
> STB box and capture card. I would say, TvTime's video quality is far better
> than LiveTV in MythTV. I know that Mythtv is always encoding the incoming
> signal first and than play it back. However, do I must bear the blinking
> lines?
>
> Is this a problem of the RTjpeg encoding or my setup issue?
>
> I have tried MPEG4 with default soft encoding - turned to be an even worse
> solution. Is this true?
>
> Thanks very much,
>
> Clark

It's not the encoding, it's that Myth shows you more of the 'overscan'
area.  What you're seeing is data embedded in the signal - in the US it's
used for Closed Captioning (subtitles), in your country it may be the same,
or for some other data.

But it's a simple fix - setup your system for 2% overscan in myth.
     Utilities/Setup -> Setup -> Tv Settings -> Playback -> Page 2
          Vertical Scaling: 2
          Horizontal Scaling: 2
     Then select "Next" to go through the remaining screens until you get to
"Finish" to save the settings.

That should take care of that issue.

J-e-f-f-A