[mythtv-users] HDMI input from set top box

Christian Szpilfogel chrisznews4 at rogers.com
Sat Sep 12 16:41:42 UTC 2009

Brian Wood wrote:
> On Saturday 12 September 2009 09:29:40 Michelle Dupuis wrote:
>
>> Very cool - but only 1080i ?  Seems like 1080p would be a minimum?!  (I
>> assume most HD sat/cable feeds can be 1080p).  Is there a 1080p version of
>> this?
>>

> I'm not aware of any cable or satellite service that provides 1080p material,
> except with some of their downloadable products, for which you would not need
> a capture solution.
>
> The only sources of 1080p I can think of are Blu-Ray rips or some downloadable
> material.

Brian,
As I recall, Michel is somewhere on the Rogers network so your statement
is precisely correct. Rogers offers the usual resolutions that you
mention typically via Scientific Atlanta boxes for HD (e.g. SA4250). Not
only that but many of the channels have a fair bit of compression.

Michel,
As Brian mentions for the situation I believe you are looking at (based
on other posts you have made), the HD-PVR is your best bet. In Canada it
is part number 1219 (which is a 1212 with French and English
instructions). You can also use firewire to change the channels reliably
and power on/off the box.

I wouldn't bother to try firewire for recording on Rogers network as
they encrypt everything including the free OTA content.

Here is a little utility I created to turn the SA4250/3250 box on/off
and check status. It works in conjunction with the various channel
changing scripts designed for the SA boxes.