[mythtv-users] OT: myth music and non-pc audio playback device

Robert RobertCL at iname.com
Sat Sep 12 09:03:21 UTC 2009

myShade wrote:
> On Thu, 2009-09-10 at 10:53 +1200, Nick Rout wrote:

>>> You can run a slim server on your backend and play music from that
>>> using any of the compatible Logitech Squeezebox devices.  I have no
>>> direct experience with these, so I can't endorse them, but you should
>>> check them out.
>>>
>>> http://www.logitechsqueezebox.com/products/overview.html
>> I have a squeezebox boom wirelessly connected to my myth backend which
>> is running squeezecentre (i.e. what used to be called slimserver). Its
>> fantastic, like the box says, "Plug it in. Turn it on. Rock the baby"
>> (or something like that).
>>
>> Mine was NZ$300 street price so I imagine you can get one for less
>> than US$200. Theres also the just released squeezbox radio that has
>> rechargeable batteries (the boom needs to be tethered to a power
>> point). Radio probably needs to be on the market a while longer before
>> it reaches a decent street price.
>>
>> The boom has great sound, even better with a powered subwoofer, but
>> baby won't need that - I doubt you'll turn volume over about 15% in a
>> baby's room.
>>
>> The boom isn't QUITE loud enough for my open plan lounge/kitchen
>> particularly when cooking and the extractor fan is going etc, so I'm
>> moving it to the bedroom and getting a squeezbox classic and an
>> external 2.1 audio system for the open plan room. In fact the classic
>> just arrived today!
>>
>> Logitech (who bought out the slim devices company) provide the server
>> software as open source for win/mac/lin and there is a great support
>> community, with forums, wiki, mailing lists. The logitech staff
>> contribute regularly on the support channels.
>>
>> The squeezecentre software provides web control, so you can turn off
>> baby's music without going to the other end of the house. The clients
>> also act as an intelligent alarm clock which may be handy as they get
>> older.
>>
>> Overall can't recommend the squeeze* range highly enough.
>
> Hi.
> I must agree.
> I got a Duet in my livingroom/kitchen and a Boom in our bedroom
> (including baby) ;)
> It's a great suite of soft/hardware.
> If you want to try half of the solution you can install squeezecenter
> and run softsqueeze to try the software part
> http://softsqueeze.sourceforge.net/
> I can highly recommend the Duet, for a livingroom solution.
> The remote nowdays evolved to also become a client 3.5mm plugable with
> excellent sound quality. Just love to sit on the balcony with earphones
> and wireless access to the collection wireless. Im no audiophile but
> there sure is diffrence in quality compared to my ex. Diva Gem, Iphone,
> Yamaha amp.
>
> Br Fredrik

Another vote for the Logitec Squeeze* range of hardware.  I think most
things have already been said.  The Boom is a nice bit of kit for a
bedroom / study audio device and the flexibility of the system is
amazing.  I particularly like the fact that you can enable ssh on the
Duet hand controller and log into it!  I've not worked out why I need to
yet, but just the fact that I can is nice.

I believe I saw a post on the squeezecenter forums about some guy who
was thinking about developing a mythtv plugin for it so you could view
upcoming recordings, etc on the Duet controller.  I've yet to look into
it though.

Also, if you just want to try the software, checkout the latest
"squeezeplay" (replacement(?) for softsqueeze mentioned above).  It
gives you a full UI like the one you get on the Duet controller, but on
your PC (linux or windows).

Robert.