[mythtv-users] How to Transcode BBC HD and keep AC3 sound intact

Bob Sully rcs at malibyte.net
Fri Sep 11 22:09:55 UTC 2009

Another Sillyname wrote:
> 2009/9/11 Bob Sully <rcs at malibyte.net>:
>>

>> Thanks VERY much for this!!!
>>
>> I've adapted this to work with US ATSC HD recordings by modifying your
>> parameters slightly (to work with a framerate of 59.94 rather than 50)
>> and
>> tweaking things a bit:
>>
>> ffmpeg -i 4071_20090802205900.mpg -vcodec mpeg4 -r 29.97 -map 0:0 -map
>> 0:1
>> -ss 00:00:00.000 -t 02:03:08.090 -acodec copy -b 3000k -s hd720 -pass 1
>> DG090802.avi
>>
>> 0:1 seems to be the 5.1 AC3 stream in the recordings I've tried so far.
>> To attempt to decrease the file sizes a bit, I've gone with 3K bitrate
>> rather than 3.6.
>>
>> Interestingly, the SECOND pass doesn't always seem to work - sometimes
>> aborts.  If there's something I'm doing wrong there, please clue me in,
>> However, I get excellent quality even with the first pass only.
>>
>> After the mencoder step, I edit out the commercials using avidemux and
>> save with Video/x264 (two pass with approx 1GB file size per 40-42
>> minute
>> episode with commercials removed), Audio/copy, and filetype .mkv. (or,
>> if
>> the .avi file size is OK, just save with Video/copy, Audio/copy and AVI)
>> So far, the two files I've created have turned out quite nicely.
>>
>> Thanks again - now, if we can get this to work with h.264 files from the
>> HD-PVR, I'm in nirvana.
>>
>> Bob

> What error message are you getting?

Hmmm...I ran three more recordings through last night and did NOT have any
more problems with the second pass.  So apparently the two files I had
problems with before had some kind of corruption (though they completed
the first step - ??), who knows.  If it happens again, I'll forward the
error messages.

Thanks again!

Bob