[mythtv-users] OT: When is Rogers killing analog cable

Brian Wood beww at beww.org
Fri Sep 11 19:16:46 UTC 2009

On Friday 11 September 2009 12:34:46 Mike McMullin wrote:
> On Thu, 2009-09-10 at 20:35 -0400, Christian Szpilfogel wrote:
> > Michelle Dupuis wrote:
> > > I've heard the Rogers will be killing off analog cable in Ontario
> > > (Canada) soon - whenever soon is.  This will relegate my myth box to
> > > little more than an external digital VCR.
> > >
> > > Anyone know when this is coming?  I know you can't but analog only
> > > packages anymore (must have a digital tuner)...
> >
> > It is not Rogers per se; it is the CRTC. Analogue broadcast ends Aug 31,
> > 2011. You can acquire a digital box reasonably cheaply these days which
> > will have s-video outputs. I use this today with a PVR-500 and I use
> > firewire to do my channel changing on the digital box.
>
>   So what does killing the analog broadcast signal have to do with the
> current or future state of the cable broadcast signal?

Since there will be more digital gear available at lower prices, it will
encourage the cable companies to move to digital, to increase the number of
channels they can carry. Piggybacking on the legal requirement for OTA to try
and confuse the public into blaming the government for their having to
purchase new equipment etc.

My local cable company is already telling customers that "The FCC is forcing
us to go digital", which is of course totally false, but not completely
unbelievable, given the mandated changes to OTA.

--
Brian Wood
beww at beww.org