[mythtv-users] MS finally gives up on OEM for cablecard

Eric Sharkey eric at lisaneric.org
Fri Sep 11 02:10:15 UTC 2009

On Thu, Sep 10, 2009 at 5:50 PM, ryan patterson <ryan.goat at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Thu, Sep 10, 2009 at 4:34 PM, Eric Sharkey <eric at lisaneric.org> wrote:
>> I've never been comfortable with the I-should-have-everything-for-free
>> copyright-is-nothing Napster-esque attitude so common among certain
>> people on the internet.
>
> In this case we are discussing using a CableCard to tune cable TV
> channels which we already PAY MONEY FOR.  That is nothing like you are
> saying people expect to get "everything for free".

I guess I didn't express myself clearly.

I just meant that I find both ends of the copyright debate to be
behaving despicably. There just doesn't seem to be a vocal proponent
for moderate copyright terms.  You have The Pirate Bay on one side,
copying whatever they can get their hands on, and Disney on the other
side, funding the legislation changes to make sure that copyright
terms are continuously updated to the limited time of ${NOW} -
Steamboat Willy publication + epsilon.  Who do you root for when you
want to help fund development of new works but don't want the world to
turn into one giant pay-per-view experience?  I honestly don't know.

When I first heard about CableCard many years back, it seemed like it
was going to be the ultimate solution to conditional access.  It had
the possibility for securely allowing unfettered access to content
only to legitimate subscribers of that content.  But the media
companies deliberately sunk it due to pure greed.

Eric