[mythtv-users] Configuring MythTV on Fedora 11

David Watkins watkinshome at gmail.com
Thu Sep 10 12:14:21 UTC 2009

> The relevant errors appear to be at
> 2009-09-09 19:28:59.264 DVBChan(3:0) Error: SetChannelByString(1): Failed to
> initialize multiplex options

I would guess this means a problem with your dvb settings.  Have you
managed to complete a successfull dvb scan yet?

If not, I would:

1)  Run mythtv-setup again and delete all channel data.  You probably
don't need to delete your capture card but it wouldn't do any harm to
delete it and create it again.

2)  Check that all your channels have disappeared.

3)  Check that your input connection is correct and that your video
source is associated with it correctly.

4)  I would disable mythfilldatabase from within the mytht-setup at
this stage.  You can enable it later once xmltv is configured, but at
this point it's only likely to cause errors and you don't need it for
DVB inputs using EIT data.

5)  Now Scan for DVB channels.  This link is quite old but I found it
one of the most usefull.

http://www.ethics-gradient.net/myth/mythdvb.html

Come back to this list if you get problems here  You need this bit to work.

6)  Make sure you have channels, and that 'Use EIT' is enabled for them.

7)  You should now be able Watch TV and Record (after a short pause (5
min) for the guide data to arrive)

8)  Now, if you want, you can disable EIT and start grabbing data
using xmltv.  I think you have that working already.  You can either
match the xmltv config to the Video Source name defined in
mythtv-setup and enable mythfilldatabase to run automatically from the
backend, or you can use cron or anacron to run mythfilldatabase
separately.

> 2009-09-09 19:28:59.315 SG(DB Backups) Error: Group 'DB Backups' wants to
> use directory '/mnt/raiddata/mythtv/dbbackup/', but this directory is not
> writeable.

I've never set a Backup Storage group location and I don't know if
this is likely to being causing you a problem.  I doubt it - the only
time mythtv uses it that I know of is when upgrading the database.

It's presumably an external mount.  Have you tried creating a file
there as the user mythtv is running as?  Is it mounted rw?  If you're
not running as root, are your User ID and Group ID values consistent
across your mythbox and raid server?