[mythtv-users] POLL *** How many people on the list are running UK combined Freeview and Freesat setups?

Yeechang Lee ylee at pobox.com
Tue Sep 8 21:20:06 UTC 2009

Another Sillyname <anothersname at googlemail.com> says:
> Included in the EIT data block is a program identifier, however some
> channels, Dave and the Reality channels spring to mind, don't use
> it.

How accurate, reliable, and unique are the program identifiers? If,
using your example . . .

> The problem some people have is in selecting which source to record
> a particular program from, for example you may get a program
> transmitted on BBC 1 and simulcast on BBC HD, it'll also likely be
> transmitted from satellite on BBC 1 Wales, BBC 1 Scotland, BBC 1
> Northern Ireland

Will the program have the same unique identifier on each channel so
the scheduler knows that it is available on multiple channels at the
same time?

I ask because you then say

> Personally I don't choose the "Record on any channel" option when
> setting up a recording job, instead favouring the "Record at any
> time on Channel blah blah", it tends to reduce conflicts.

This tells me you are missing out on the full benefits of MythTV's
scheduler.

I have four over-the-air-tuners (two physical tuners that each support
multirec) and two cable tuners. Most, not all, of my over-the-air
channels are also available on cable; another way of saying this, of
course, is that some of my cable channels are also available via
over-the-air. By not specifying specific channels in my recording
rules, the scheduler can move upcoming recordings between tuners as
needed to maximize their usage and reflect; by specifying channels,
you are preventing the scheduler from doing its job. A comprehensive
and accurate program-identifier system is vital for such efficiency on
the scheduler's part, though, so I am not sure whether you have that
option in the first place.

--
Frontend/backend:	P4 3.0GHz, 1.5TB software RAID 5 array