[mythtv-users] UTF-8 display problem in program guide with 0.21.0+fixes19961-0ubuntu8

Michael T. Dean mtdean at thirdcontact.com
Tue Sep 8 19:08:24 UTC 2009

On 09/07/2009 09:36 PM, Clark Lee wrote:
> I have tried to clean up the database as indicated in  http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/Fixing_Corrupt_Database_Encoding.

That won't work on your database since it was only partially corrupt--it
basically corrupted the rest of the database (unless you did the
"partial corruption" fix).

> I have removed all previous tv program data and re-filled the database after the encoding set to latin1. Now in the mysql client, the Chinese titles/subtitles are displayed as "????".
> Sadly, the Chinese titles/subtitles are still displayed as "????" in the program guide page of mythfrontend.
>
> I have set the font as "WenQuanYi Zen Hei" (a free Chinese Font) in the boothtube-wide theme, which I am using. This Chinese font and locale are installed in system.
> Plus, when I set the languaget to be "Hanzi (Chinese)", I could see the menus are diplayed with Chinese correctly.
>
> So what do you think I could do to fix it?

The truth is, I don't know if it will or will not work in 0.21-fixes.
If not, it won't ever be fixed.

Since we're relatively close to releasing 0.22 and the charset handling
completely changed between 0.21-fixes and 0.22, I recommend trying again
with current trunk.  (Ubuntu has a repo with a weekly build of trunk.  I
hope it's r21726 or above.)

If you have a 0.21-fixes backup from before you started changing your
schema, please restore it and let trunk upgrade (but note that it /will/
take a long time, so don't cancel/kill it and make sure only one
mythtv-setup or mythbackend is running during the upgrade process).  If
you don't have a good pre-schema-changes backup, please test with an
empty database.  If all works, then you can probably get the "important"
data from your old backup using the partial restore technique mentioned
in the page linked above.

Thanks, and good luck.  Please let us know if it doesn't work.

Mike