[mythtv-users] mythtv 0.22 problems with mythtv-setup

Michael T. Dean mtdean at thirdcontact.com
Tue Sep 8 18:07:46 UTC 2009

On 09/08/2009 01:55 PM, Jan Burgmeier wrote:
> Am Dienstag, den 08.09.2009, 13:20 -0400 schrieb Michael T. Dean:
>
>> On 09/08/2009 09:56 AM, Jan Burgmeier wrote:
>>
>>> i tried to install mythtv 0.22 on my Gentoo box. I tried svn revision
>>> 20959 and 21710. It compiles and install fines but if I try to change
>>> anything in mythtv-setup my mythconverg MySQL database will be currupted.
>>> I tried to change the TimeOffset to AUTO and now my settings table looks
>>> like this:
>>>
>>> INSERT INTO `settings` (`value`, `data`, `hostname`) VALUES
>>> ('TimeOffset', 'Auto', NULL),
>>> ('TimeOffset', 'Auto', NULL),
>>> ('TimeOffset', 'Auto', NULL),
>>> ('TimeOffset', 'Auto', NULL),
>>> ('TimeOffset', 'Auto', NULL),
>>> ('TimeOffset', 'Auto', NULL),
>>> ('TimeOffset', 'Auto', NULL),
>>> ('TimeOffset', 'Auto', '0'),
>>> ('TimeOffset', 'Auto', '0'),
>>> ('TimeOffset', 'Auto', '0'),
>>> ('TimeOffset', 'Auto', NULL),
>>> ('TimeOffset', 'Auto', NULL),
>>> ('TimeOffset', 'Auto', NULL),
>>> ('TimeOffset', 'Auto', NULL),
>>> ('TimeOffset', 'Auto', NULL),
>>> ('TimeOffset', 'Auto', NULL),
>>> ('TimeOffset', 'Auto', NULL),
>>> ('TimeOffset', 'Auto', NULL),
>>> ('TimeOffset', 'Auto', '0'),
>>> ('TimeOffset', 'Auto', NULL),
>>> ('TimeOffset', 'Auto', NULL),
>>> ('TimeOffset', 'Auto', '0'),
>>> .
>>> .
>>> .
>>> ('MythFillFixProgramIDsHasRunOnce', '1', '0');
>>>

>> Looks like your database settings are broken--I'm nearly positive your
>> system's hostname is /not/ '0'.  :)
>>
>>> I don't know if this is a failure in my MySQL Server or in the
>>> mythtv-setup. I hope you can help me.
>>>
>>> PS: MySQL Server is: 5.0.84-log and UTF-8 is choosen as the default
>>> encoding.
>>>
>> Just because you mentioned Gentoo, did your database upgrade proceed
>> properly?  Did you have any corruption issues?  Did you follow
>> instructions at http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/Database_Backup_and_Restore ,
>> if necessary?
>>
>> If you had any problems, these may be the true source of the issue.
>>
> I didn't follow this guid I droped the whole mythconverg database and
> recreated it with the my.pl script.

I'm guessing (hoping?) you mean the mc.sql script?  Unless my.pl is just
some script which wraps mc.sql.  If it's some other script that tries to
do the same as mc.sql, it's possible it may have set some things up
incorrectly.

However, starting over from scratch should work--assuming you do so
properly (with mc.sql).  :)

>  Then I ran mythtv-setup which
> creates all tables in mythconverg. But if I try to change some settings
> through mythtv-setup it overrides the whole table with garbage as shown
> above. The settings table is within the mythconverg database and has
> nothing to do with settings of the mysql server.

Yes, by, "Looks like your database settings are broken," I meant your
/MythTV/ database settings--i.e. those specified by config.xml and/or
mysql.txt.  You'll need to find every single copy of those files on your
system and make sure they're correct (as different ones are used in
different contexts).

If it turns out all your config.xml and mysql.txt files are correct, you
may just be suffering from something like
http://svn.mythtv.org/trac/ticket/6887 , where after that problem
occurs, the internal variables holding the database information may get
reset and become garbage.

Please try updating to the latest trunk, as some fixes went in recently
(in [21726]) which may make your system more stable/less likely to
encounter problems which could result in the symptoms you're seeing.

Mike