[mythtv-users] POLL *** How many people on the list are running UK combined Freeview and Freesat setups?

belcampo belcampo at zonnet.nl
Mon Sep 7 21:01:45 UTC 2009

Another Sillyname wrote:
> 2009/9/7 David Knight <dlknight at sdf.lonestar.org>:
>> On Mon, September 7, 2009 10:44 am, Steve Curtis wrote:
>>> I'm a UK user too with both Freesat and Freeview.  I've got two NOVA-T's
>>> with the dual tuners, and I've also got a DVB-S card for my Freesat
>>> (Basically BBC HD).  Using 0.21-patches from JYA's repo for all the
>>> lastest
>>> VDPAU goodness.
>>>
>>> How does ITV HD appear in mythtv, is it basically another channel you can
>>> tune in with scheduling info from Radio Times?
>>>
>>> Also, which advert detection are you using?  I've never seen it work
>>> properly in the UK.
>>>
>>> Cheers,
>>> Steve.
>> Hi Steve,
>>
>>   For ITV HD I just did a scan and it got picked up, until now you need
>> the itvhd2.diff patch but I believe that has been ported to trunk now.
>> So latest trunk with a scan of the multiplex that broadcasts ITV HD
>> should get you going.
>>
>> Advert detection works 90% of the time on my rig and works perfectly with
>> channel 5 for some reason :) - here are my settings:
>>
>> Advert Flagging Method = All available methods
>>
>> Strict Advert Detection = Off (Unchecked)
>>
>> Regards
>>
>> Dave K.

> I'm having a problem transcoding some BBC HD material recently.
>
> I use mencoder from the command line to do all my transcodes before
> they go into the library, that way I can get the start and endpoint
> exactly where I want them, do a resize and keep the AC3 stream intact.
>  However for a few programs of late (the lara croft movie and harpers
> island spring to mind) are getting choppy sound and 'sound buffer
> overflow' IIRC errors during the transcode.
>

> Is anyone else transcoding BBC HD material and do you get any problems?
On Aug 22 I posted this on ffmpeg-user list:

It seems BBCHD streams from DVB-S have changed, it always was MBAFF
interlaced, now it is interpreted as 50fps
Stream #0.0[0x157c]: Video: h264, yuv420p, 1440x1080 [PAR 4:3 DAR 16:9],
50 tbr, 90k tbn, 50 tbc

Although mediainfo for the same file says:

Frame rate                       : 25.000
Frame rate                       : 25.000 fps
Frame count                      : 97582
Resolution                       : 24
Resolution                       : 24 bits
Colorimetry                      : 4:2:0
Scan type                        : Interlaced
Scan type                        : Interlaced
Scan order                       : TFF
Scan order                       : Top Field First
Interlacement                    : TFF

I had this experience with a current ffmpeg and x264-71 version.
HandBrake also had problems with these file. Going back to ffmpeg
SVN-r17923 ans x264-65 solved the problems, but before transcoding I
demux/cut them with tsMuxerGUI. Mkvmerge also has troubles with the
demuxed files, have to add fps 50 to get it to play, although mkvmerge
diagnosis it as progressive which it isn't.