[mythtv-users] POLL *** How many people on the list are running UK combined Freeview and Freesat setups?

Mark Parsons mythtv.org at thesanitarium.org.uk
Mon Sep 7 11:51:14 UTC 2009

On 7 Sep 2009, at 00:34, Nick Morrott wrote:

> On 06/09/2009, Mark Parsons <mythtv.org at thesanitarium.org.uk> wrote:
>
>> I'm not sure how the system chooses to schedule recordings across
>> the two
>> devices, and it is frustrating when you're e.g. viewing a program on
>
> The scheduler will choose to record from the best input, per the
> details in the MythTV docs. In order for the scheduler be able to
> choose the best input to record a particular channel from, if a
> channel is available on both FreeView and Freesat (like BBC1 or ITV1),
> is to ensure that each similar channel has the same callsign setting
> in the database.

That sounds like how I've got it set up, and I did some playing around
with arranging channel recording priorities so that BBC HD overruled
the others, etc. My thoughts were more around how MythTV "decides"
which tuner is best - as I don't think I've set anything anywhere
(other than the aforementioned channel priorities) that says that I
prefer my recordings to come from the DVB-S feed, or from the DVB-T
input, but I suppose that I really shouldn't care - presuming the
signal quality on each is equivalent - and that once set up,
everything should be transparent... time for me to go and read the
documentation in a bit more detail!

>> Freeview and you bring up the program guide, you seem to only be
>> able to
>> scroll through the channels available on that tuner device; you
>> have to exit
>> to the main menu and look at the full guide there, or alternatively
>> use the
>> "change source" key (defaults to Y I believe?).
>
> The OSD browser currently restricts browsing to those channels
> available on the current input, but the LiveTV EPG includes all
> channels on the system. You shouldn't have to exit LiveTV in order to
> see the full EPG.

Ah, my mistake - this sounds like what I've experienced; sorry!

>> I haven't set up XMLTV yet - I've left it using the OTA details,
>> which
>> works well enough for the time being - as I have lingering mental
>> scars from
>> the pain of setting up the XMLTV feeds last time (getting the
>> channels,
>> finding the right XMLTV source ids, making sure that I didn't
>> create ghost
>> duplicate channels, etc. *shudder* ) but I may get around to it
>> eventually.
>
> That "issue" should be resolved (or at least made substantially
> easier) soon - it won't make the next release of MythTV but will
> hopefully see light of day in 0.23.

Phew! :) I also look forward to the day when a rescan of the satellite
channels is so easy that you can just press a button... but even with
my rudimentary coding and Linux skills, I suspect that this would be a
massive job. Ah well.

Thanks for the info Nick!