[mythtv-users] Looking for suggestions on cheap wifi USB adaptor

Brian Wood beww at beww.org
Mon Sep 7 01:06:53 UTC 2009

On Sunday 06 September 2009 18:55:42 Aaron Klein wrote:
> I have an old desktop that I want to put into a room that I can not
> wire to.  It will be driving a SD TV so I don't believe I need to
> worry about bandwidth limits of wireless on my G network.  I have used
> a laptop in the past with little problems.  I am looking for
> recommendations on a relyable USB wireless adaptor that will work with
> Mythbuntu 8.04 or 9.04.  I haven't decided which I will use for this
> frontend only system.
>
> I am hoping I can get a few good suggestions here for some low cost
> USB wireless adaptors I can use for this frontend.

I usually go with what I can get cheap from geeks.com or a similar place, then
just hope I get a chipset that Linux can cope with. Most will work these
days.

If it doesn't work, I give it to some Windows user and try again, at under $20
a try it's not too big a loss.

Be careful of suggestions for particular brands or models, makers often change
chipsets and just change the included (Windows) drivers, so even if you buy
something that worked for someone else it might not work for you. You're
taking the same chance as buying no-name units.

What matters is the chipset, not the actual unit, and sometimes the
manufacturers just use what's cheapest the week they order them, or the
Chinese maker changes chipsets and doesn't tell them.

--
Brian Wood
beww at beww.org