[mythtv-users] MythBuntu 9.04 + Nvidia 180 .deb + TuxOnIce PPA?

Jan Ceuleers jan.ceuleers at computer.org
Sun Sep 6 08:05:06 UTC 2009

Johnny wrote:
> Mine has:
> Linux pvr 2.6.28-15-generic #49-Ubuntu SMP Tue Aug 18 18:40:08 UTC
> 2009 i686 GNU/Linux
>
> Notice the i686 at the end of the line. You can try: uname -m, if you
> want to isolate only the machine type it is compiled for.

Actually, the "-generic" is what tells you which machines the kernel was compiled for. This is a kernel that will work on all Intel platforms.

The i686 at the end of your line tells you the hardware platform the kernel is running on, but it does not mean that the kernel was specifically compiled for that platform.

Here's some evidence for that: I run exactly the same Ubuntu 8.10 kernel on two radically different machines, and here are the uname -a outputs:

== on a Via C7 machine ==
Linux via 2.6.24-24-generic #1 SMP Tue Aug 18 17:04:53 UTC 2009 i686 GNU/Linux

== on a National Semiconductor Geode machine ==
Linux skr03 2.6.24-24-generic #1 SMP Tue Aug 18 17:04:53 UTC 2009 i586 GNU/Linux

If you need to know the kernel's configuration in Ubuntu, you can always check the config files that are installed in the /boot directory. For example, for the running kernel:

# cat /boot/config-`uname -r`

Cheers, Jan