[mythtv-users] Bad PVR-350--how to test?

Greg Woods greg at gregandeva.net
Sat Sep 5 19:27:34 UTC 2009

On Sat, 2009-09-05 at 11:46 -0700, steve wrote:
> Hello.  After a recent thunderstorm, it appears that my Hauppauge
> PVR-350 has crapped out.  Does anyone know of a test I can do to
> verify that it’s dead and there is not some other problem?

# lsmod | grep ivtv

Is the module loaded? If not, try "modprobe ivtv" to load it.

# dmesg | grep -i ivtv

See if the kernel is seeing the card and the module is loading.

Then try:

# cat /dev/video0 > pvr350.tst

(Wait a few seconds, then interrupt)

See if you get anything in the output file, and if any video players
(such as "mplayer").

If you see the modules being loaded, the card detected, and it passes
the "cat" test, it's not the card.

I presume that you have tried the brute force hardware repair method of
shutting down, completely turning off the power and rebooting? It's not
impossible that a power surge could corrupt some hardware registers
without actually blowing the card, and that MIGHT be fixed with a hard
reset. Worth a try anyway.

--Greg