[mythtv-users] MythBuntu 9.04 + Nvidia 180 .deb + TuxOnIce PPA?

Craig Huff huffcslists at gmail.com
Sat Sep 5 16:04:18 UTC 2009

On Sat, Sep 5, 2009 at 9:40 AM, Craig Huff<huffcslists at gmail.com> wrote:
> Background: I am in the process of migrating from FC6 + MythTV 0.20.2
> to MythBuntu 9.04 (w/ MythTV 0.21) on a system with an Nvidia display
> adapter.  With FC6, I had to depend on Matthias Hensler + Axel Thimm
> to build tailored packages on ATrpms to support Fedora + Nvidia + TOI.
>  (I was never able to wrap my head around the process to do it myself
> -- no time.)
>
> As part of the MythBuntu 9.04 installation, I can include the Nvidia
> 180 package to support MythTV on my display adapter, but it is unclear
> to me whether the TOI PPA can be added to the mix (as a post-install
> package addition) or if I need to have a custom TOI build made to
> support *both* the Nvidia blob driver and TOI.  Can anyone enlighten
> me?
>
> TIA,
> Craig.

While waiting for guidance, I checked to see what was available with
Synaptic Package Manager in MythBuntu 9.04 with the TuxOnIce PPA
added.

Now I'm really confused.  I was expecting to find a linux-image
package for i386 (or i686), but the way I'm reading the SPM display,
it appears I have an x86_64 kernel installed and the TOI kernel for
that environment is available as an upgrade.

Last I heard, there were a number of issues with x86_64 kernels (what
comes to mind is maybe with MythTV, and with plugins for Firefox).

How do I determine in MythBuntu which flavor of kernel I have?

Craig.