[mythtv-users] Mythtv users with Comcast HD cable boxes (Chicago?)

William william_munson at comcast.net
Fri Sep 4 23:30:47 UTC 2009

Kevin Hill wrote:
> Johnny wrote:
>>> I'm using Comcast cable QAM + a SD cable box going to a pvr 500 with
>>> Comcast
>>> near Chicago. I'm getting tired of losing 1/3 of my resolution watching
>>> letterboxed shows on SD channels. If I get an HD cable box, can it
>>> downconvert 720p and 1080i content to 480i widescreen svideo output
>>> I could
>>> record with the pvr 500 and at least reclaim a full 720x480 pic on
>>> widescreen content?
>>
>> I am not sure that I follow your reasoning here. Are you displaying
>> this on a 16x9 HDTV or on a 4x3 SDTV? I will assume you are using an
>> HD set. Are you saying you are frustrated by the fact that on SD
>> channels they often use 16x9 footage and then letterbox it for the 4x3
>> SD, so it ends up letterboxed and pillarboxed on your HDTV?
>
> Right. Just to add a few more details. I'm specifically watching tv on
> a Philips widescreen CRT, which does 480i,480p, and 1080i. So
> basically 480p is about the best you can really discern on the picture
> tube anyway...

I also use a philips widescreen CRT that does those resolutions. Mine
has component inputs on the back that support both the standard
component video format or a format called RGBHV which can be generated
by using a converter hooked to the computer vga port. That is somewhat
irrelevant  to this  but I wanted to let you know that your monitor
should support full HDTV 1080i video. I have a nvidia card card
xorg.conf that works with mine. Let me know if you want/need the  info.

PS - It looks fantastic at 1080i resolution.

William